Discerning Between Essence & False Personality

DOM:

I am still unable to decide for myself: "Okay, I am in Essence here" or "Mmmmh... well this is False Personality here." Any clues?

SHEPHERD:

The goal is to develop a sort of perfect pitch, in which we have a clear sense of what love, truth, and beauty look and feel like, and can sense when something is off by comparing it to that. Then, when we're in false personality, it feels off and we increasingly are able to course correct. Of course, fear feels different from love, but we often have layers of rationalizations protecting our fear--that is the edifice of false personality. We have to be ruthlessly honest with ourselves to dismantle that. Just doing what "feels right" is an uncertain guide, because doing what is actually right doesn't always feel comfortable--it can bring up fear. We have to examine our actions from a lot of angles, including intellectually, to see what is right.

It's analogous to food cravings. Is our body telling us we need a nutrient? Or is it an addiction speaking, and satisfying it will throw us further out of balance? If we're craving greens, it's probably true. If we're craving sugar, it's probably an addiction. True intuitions are more subtle; false ones come more from the surface and are cruder.

DOM:

Currently to make a living I have a menial and repetitive job which is boring me to death, and lately totally depressing me. Especially as it consumes most of the time I could spend creating my books ....

SHEPHERD:

Are you working on your escape plan? If you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, that will help.

DOM:

Essence that would seek traumatic experiences.

SHEPHERD:

If you're repaying a karma or fulfilling a life task, you probably won't be able to help yourself. Otherwise, generally a conscious person who is primarily growing through joy navigates to stay out of trouble. Having more spiritual skill suggests the ability to do what needs to be done with minimal friction, such as having a difficult but necessary conversation with someone.