Reincarnational Selves

STUDENT:

On page 351, it is mentioned that it takes 'a person' (so not essence or an reincarnational self) about 70 years before reincarnating.

Now I am lost. As I understand from previous pages, that person will never reincarnate. … So, there will never be another Jantine.

SHEPHERD:

Right. By "a person," i didn't mean the personality of Jantine, but the whole package of self. Sorry that was unclear. I was trying to be conversational. I could have also said essence or astral self. Essence decides on incarnations, but they spring from the astral self.

STUDENT:

Then the next question is: why would Robert wait 70 years (to reincarnate if the next personality) is going to work on completely different issues and karmas? I see no point in such a long wait in such case.

SHEPHERD:

Essence can be ready much sooner if the next lifetime isn't based on the previous one that is still being processed, but there is also the matter of whether an appropriate body is available. With the population explosion today, that's not a big problem, but there have been fewer available bodies in the past.

---

STUDENT:

On the Astral Plane time is a unified function so past and future are in one place in one loop of energy? Hence I'm suggesting that 'waiting for seventy years' is an imperfect sentient explanation of a concept that is beyond our grasp? Seventy years in the past and seventy years in the future are both accessible to Essence in one and the same flow of energy?

SHEPHERD, from "Journey of Your Soul":

From page 45, the subchapter "Accuracy and Self-Validation" in Chapter 1, "The Nature of Channeling":

We experience time rigidly on the physical plane because our bodies need to sleep at regular intervals and we adhere to work and meal schedules, all based on the Earth’s physical rotation around the sun. Our culture feels particularly pressed for time and also tends to demand instant gratification. In some cultures people feel that they have all the time in the world, so they might define the word "soon" more broadly than we do. Those without physical bodies experience time more fluidly still.

From page 69:

Time is experienced rigidly on the physical plane, fluidly on the astral, and even more tenuously on the causal. (It doesn’t exist at all on the three abstract planes.) Although I have been channeling Michael since 1986, they don’t track our relationship in years, since they don’t have them; years are a physical phenomenon. They look at it causally—as an intellectual progression.

From page 373:

In "Messages from Michael," Michael said that the essence is the intrinsic core of the soul. Michael through me has stated that when speaking of essence, they mainly mean the abstract aspects of self resonating with the three cardinal planes, which are beyond time and space. These could be called our mental, messianic, and buddhaic selves. They can be contrasted with the concrete aspects of self, those that resonate with the ordinal planes and are within the realms of time and space to some degree. These could be called our physical, astral, and causal selves.

SHEPHERD:

My impression is that we do experience a version of time on the astral plane, a more fluid one that isn't tied to planetary movements. Reincarnating souls can bend time. In "JOYS," I write about how it's possible to incarnate out of chronological order, in terms of physical time, but that's not the norm. Pure essence doesn't experience time at all, but that's not the part of self that directly incarnates. Since the astral plane is adjacent to the physical and is directly involved in it, physical plane time, or at least its chronological order, has some influence. Seventy physical plane years would not necessarily feel like seventy years to those between lives. Time for them is malleable and can be compressed or expanded, depending on the density of their experience. However, if nonphysical beings need to engage at a certain point on the physical timeline, physical time is relevant.

BARBARA:

Shepherd mentioned the 70 years as an "average" and that it is also an individual thing. Sarah Chambers channeled it as 200 years; others have said it might average 100 years.

SHEPHERD, from "Journey of Your Soul":

From page 351 of "Journey of Your Soul," the subchapter "Between Lifetimes" in Chapter 26, "Reincarnation":

I channeled that, on average, a person waits about seventy years after death before reincarnating. However, Sarah Chambers channeled the number as being about two hundred. Through me, Michael was probably referring to more recent times, when the growing population has created more opportunities for incarnation. Perhaps over the entire span of one’s physical-plane cycle, two hundred has been the average.

Whatever the case, the length of time between lifetimes varies considerably from person to person and depends on the particular circumstances. Generally, younger souls reincarnate more quickly, whereas older souls tend to take more time setting up their lifetimes—they avoid repeating what they have already done and seek the particular circumstances needed to repay karmas, complete monads, and otherwise grow. Also, older souls become increasingly comfortable with the astral interval and its fluidity, whereas younger souls can be threatened by it and often can’t wait to get back into the structure of the physical plane. (Younger souls, like children, need more structure.) Still, it is a good idea to leave adequate time to review the past life, rest and heal from it if necessary, and prepare for the next one.