How Karma is Repaid

edited July 2015 in Karma
STUDENT:

There is a huge difference between dropping a plate by accident (even through carelessness) and smashing it against the wall out of anger. The effect on the plate is the same; is not the karmic effect tied to intention in this instance?

SHEPHERD:

That's my understanding. Karmas tend to be repaid with similar intentions. An accidental killing, if karmic, tends to be repaid by another accidental killing (or by the killer saving the victim from an accident in the following lifetime). Also, where there is little emotional force behind a karma, it's easier to neutralize on the astral plane through grace because there's not much that needs to be learned, other than, as Mary Lou points out, to be more careful.

Not all killings are karmic. A soldier fighting in a war authorized by the society who kills in the line of duty is not usually under the need to repay that same souls killed, although he may tend to be more frequently a victim of war later.

---

STUDENT:

Until the Karmic monad is completed, i.e., it has been created AND repaid, it cannot be "mastered."

SHEPHERD:

Michael teaches that we can complete the physical plane without ever waking up spiritually. We can create and repay karmas, monads, agreements, etc. on automatic pilot, passing through each level of the soul ages, occasionally stubbing our toes and running into walls.

Mastery suggests becoming conscious of our choices and making those that smooth our way, acting from love and minimizing damage. This is "growing through joy" rather than through pain.

For example, if someone killed you in a past life, you can kill him and the debt is paid, OR you can set it up for him to joyously save your life instead.

It often happens that a killing repays a karma, but those on the receiving end don't know that consciously, so they seek revenge and form another karma, ad nauseum. Thus, the "karmic wheel"--it doesn't stop until someone steps off it and decides to act from love. This is what Jesus meant by turning the other cheek.

STUDENT:

Is forgiveness part of mastering karma? I can sincerely forgive anything, but it does not mean I will trust again that person or want the friendship back.

SHEPHERD:

Forgiveness is a core part of it. It means releasing the charge and seeing the humanity of the other party. When we truly understand, that includes forgiveness but is greater than it. Part of understanding is honestly exploring and owning our own part in co-creating the situation, harvesting the lessons, and forgiving ourselves, as well as compassionately understanding the other person's dynamics. Forgiveness includes recognizing that we all see through a glass darkly to some degree. It is often hard to forgive until we understand.

There are rare instances in which we are the victim of karma simply because we were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Still, self-exploration is valuable: Did we fail to heed our intuition? Did we hold a belief that attracted us to a negative experience? Etc.